Jayne from Englands Finest Wedding Cars provides some great hints and tips when considering reserving your wedding transportation..
- Firstly, decide what type of transport will suit your wedding theme and requirements for the day ie. vintage style car, horse and carriage, stretch limousine, modern cars such as perhaps mercedes. Bearing in mind that for long journeys a horse and carriage usually travels around six miles per hour!
- Do your research on the internet and organise a 'short list' of companies that are offering the type of transport you are wanting. Opting for local companies is preferable to avoid possible additional travelling expenses and also concerns regarding delays on the roads with road works etc. when travelling from furthe afield and also possible problems in poor weather conditions.
- Recommendations are always a good option, especially from couples that have recently been married and used a company themselves as they have first hand knowledge.
I wanted to email you to thank you for the professional and friendly service my husband and I received on our wedding day. You made our day complete, the cars were beautiful but most importantly the additional touches you added such as matching the cars flowers with our colours, helping with my veil, pinning my dads corsage on him and always ensuring my dress looked perfect in every picture surpassed to the service we expected. Thank you for making our day so special. We will definitely be recommending you to family and friends.
Thank you again.
Neil & Zoe
- Either telephone or send an email to those companies short listed, giving enough information to obtain a satisfactory quotation ie. date and time of wedding, location of collection, ceremony and reception venue and any specific requirements such as stopping off en route to the reception venue for 'private' photographs.
- Establish what is included in the quotation to ensure the costs are on a 'like for like' basis, eg are ribbons included, silk or fresh flowers for the interior of the car, if champagne is included or if it is available and at what cost, how long would be available for any stop-off after the ceremony and if there is a time limit on hiring the car for your wedding.
- Most importantly view the cars or transportation. The photographs on their website could be years old and could affect the actual condition of the vehicles in the 'flesh'.
- Telephone the companies chosen to establish the level of service and professional manner in which they deal with your enquiry and arrange a convenient time to view the cars at their establishment. In doing so, request that the car or cars are 'held' until you are able to view them, ensuring that no-one else can book them in between and thus avoiding disappointment.
- Prior to the appointment ask what the deposit would be if you wish to proceed with the reservation and how payment may be made ie. cash, cheque, debit or credit card payment, BACS transfer etc.
- When viewing establish which of the car/s or carriage are available for your wedding and confirm that this would be the one arriving on the day. Also worthwhile asking if they have a 'back'up' service available should the car chosen not be available on the wedding day due to a mechanical failure. Some companies have 'spare' cars available that are kept for this sole purpose although this begs the question 'why?' and other companies have a working relationship with other wedding car hire companies that would provide another vehicle on the day for them but it is good to check what types of cars would be offered if this was to happen.
- Check with the proprietor of the company who will be driving on the day and if they wear a uniform and chauffeur hat etc.
- Some companies offer onboard accessories such as mints, tissues, water, bridal wraps etc. so ask if any of these things are available and included.
- Don't feel pressurised into booking a car that you are unsure of ie. 'first impressions' are a good indicator as to THE car or carriage for you. If needed, take a couple of days after the viewing to be sure and talk it over with family. Most car hire companies will honour 'holding' the car for a few more days for you.
- If you decide to go ahead with a reservation, let the other companies that you have not chosen know the situation as a courtesy for their time.
- Settle the deposit and ask for written confirmation of the reservation whether this is in letter form or via completion of a booking form. Always good to detail all the specific requirements of the wedding in writing too so both parties are clear what has been agreed at time of reservation.
- Confirmation of the final balance amount is a must with when this is to be paid. Some organisations send an invoice/ reminder to the couples before hand but others may not so it is a good idea to circle the due date on the calendar. The majority of companies require the final balance one month or six weeks before the wedding date.
- Should there be any amendments to the time of the wedding, collection locations or any other requirements this should be notified immediately to the company as this may affect the contract for which the transportation was agreed. Some companies may take further reservations with the same vehicle on the same day during peak times so changes could affect the availability for your wedding.
- The company you have chosen should welcome any queries you may have regarding your wedding on the lead up to the day so do not be afraid to call them to put your mind at rest.
- Before the wedding ensure that you are aware of collection times for the respective journeys planned for your transportation, some companies do a 'journey plan' before the wedding to familiarise themselves with the requirements and to be able to confirm suggested timescales for departure to the ceremony. This ensures that the bridal party is ready in good time before the scheduled departure time and enable's everyone to arrive on time.
- Finally, enjoy the day and relax in the knowledge that you have chosen professionals!
For wedding cars in bristol and to view all Guild members and their services please go to www.theuniqueweddingguild.co.uk